Family Support Services (FSSP)
The Family Support Services Program (FSSP) assists families with costs beyond those normally experienced by other families, to avoid or delay costly out of home placements and reduce stress. FSSP provides funding to address disability related needs, as well as information, support and resource coordination. Eligibility for FSSP is not income based.
Services that can be paid for with FSSP funds include, but are not limited to:
- Respite care - temporary care of the person with the developmental disability
- Professional services - counseling, occupational/speech/physical therapies
- Medical and dental expenses - not otherwise covered by other sources such as Medicaid or private insurance
- Transportation - mileage costs related to providing care and support
- Assistive technology - mobility aids, adaptive equipment, communication devices
- Home/vehicle modification - ramps, lifts, widened door frames
- Other individual expenses - special diets, specialized clothing, recreation
- Parent & Sibling Support - family counseling, stress reduction
To request funds, families must fill out a Family Support Most In Need Assessment (MIN) each year. Families who are considered to be 'most in need' relative to other families may receive Family Support Services Program funds. Overall level of need is based on your child's care needs, behavior, family composition and stability, access to support networks and other resources, as well as your need for an allowable Family Support service. For more information please read DDRC's written Process for Identifying Families Most-In-Need of State Family Support Funds.
Families who are not considered 'most in need' for FSSP funds may be eligible for Jeffco CFS Funds, funded by Jefferson County mill levy dollars. Recipients of JCFS funds must be Jeffco residents, because these funds are from a mill levy on Jefferson County property owners. Jeffco CFS Funds are typically available in May or June each year. We encourage all interested families to complete a Family Support Most In Need Assessment and funding request.