State Legislation - Speak Up
The Colorado legislature is considering a bill to address the long waiting list for
Residential/Home and Community Based DD Comprehensive Services and workforce capacity concerns.
A copy of the draft bill (as of March 19, 2018) is provided below.
View The Draft Bill
If the proposed bill passes as it reads now it would:
- Fund 300 new resources for individuals who are waiting for services, and whose family caregiver situations are at risk of experiencing an emergency situation (meeting a most-in- need criteria).
- Fund an increase specifically for direct support professionals' compensation.
Funding to make progress toward meeting these important needs would come from the Colorado general fund, and those funds would be matched by Federal Medicaid dollars. Please consider helping this effort, and act now, by:
- Signing-on to the petition in support of the bill.
Sign the Petition
- Contacting your state Representative or state Senator to show your support.
Find your Legislator
Please let them know:
- of your support for the bill and its two main goals
- of your personal perspective, for example:
- if you or someone you know has waited for years for services
- if you are facing the future vulnerability of being an aging caregiver
- if you are the parent of a young child and are not sure if your loved one will need services in the long term, but that you support this bill to help others and in the event your family member may need services over the long term
- that you greatly value the professionalism of direct support providers, and believe that increased compensation will help provide stability in the field.
Thank you for your consideration and for making your voice heard too.
DDRC's has long been a leader in promoting funding, legislation and policies that are good for people with intellectual developmental disabilities and delays, and their families. We are pleased to partner with the Alliance in these efforts and relating to this proposed bill. It is gratifying to see the spectrum of entities that have signed-on to the petition in support of the bill.